PROPOR2016 Best Dissertation on Language Technology for Portuguese Award
13-15 July 2016
Best PhD Dissertation:
“Semantic Relation Extraction. Resources, Tools and Strategies”
University of Santiago de Compostela
(Supervisor: Pablo Gamallo)
Best MA Dissertation:
“Extending VITHEA in Order to Improve Children’s Linguistic Skills”
University of Lisbon
(Supervisors: Luísa Coheur and Alberto Sardinha)
Finalists for the Best PhD Dissertation:
- First Place: Marco Garcia (University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain) “Semantic Relation Extraction. Resources, Tools and Strategies”. Supervisor: Pablo Gamallo
- Second Place: Paula C.F. Cardoso (University of University of São Paulo – São Carlos, Brazil) “Exploring Semantic Discourse Knowledge for Multi-document Summarization”. Supervisor: Thiago A.S. Pardo
Best MA Dissertation:
- First Place: Vânia Mendonça (University of Lisbon, Portugal) “Extending VITHEA in Order to Improve Children’s Linguistic Skills”. Supervisors: Luísa Coheur and Alberto Sardinha
- Second Place: Denis Andrei Araujo (University of the Vale do Rio dos Sinos , Brazil) “Exploring the inference role in automatic information extraction from texts”. Supervisor: Sandro José Rigo
Call for Papers:
This award recognizes the best of emerging academic work on processing of spoken and written Portuguese and related issues, concluded in the three years preceding the submission deadline. Awards are given for:
- Best PhD Dissertation
- Best MSc Dissertation
The Award Ceremony will take place during the Conference dinner. PROPOR 2016 program can be found in this link.
Submission Criteria and Procedure:
- Eligible entrants are those candidates who have successfully defended their dissertations in the three years preceding the contest submission deadline. A letter from the primary dissertation advisor must be submitted with the extended abstract (see item 3.), stating that the candidate meets this eligibility criterion.
- The dissertation must focus on some aspect of written and spoken Portuguese processing and related issues. In general, any topic that falls within the scope of PROPOR call for papers is appropriate.
- Each entry should be in the form of an extended abstract that includes the nature of the problem to be researched, relevant theory, hypotheses to be tested, method, analysis, and indicative references.
- Documents must be submitted in English (even if the thesis is written in another language).
- Documents must be submitted in PDF format, following the same style of PROPOR 2016. Submissions are limited to 8 pages, including all figures, tables, and references and should begin with an abstract of 250 words or less.
- In addition to the extended abstract the PDF should also include the letter from the advisor.
- The top two ranked papers (1st PhD and 1st Masters) will be included in the printed proceedings of PROPOR 2016.
- Submission deadline is February 2, 2016. Entries must be submitted electronically (no hard copy submissions will be accepted) via the following link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=proporphdmscdc2016
- Notifications to authors will be sent on March 22, 2016.
- Accepted entrants must prepare an A0 poster (portrait format) to be presented at a special session. Award winners are invited to prepare an oral presentation of their work (15 / 20 minutes).
- Evaluation will consist of two rounds of evaluation, and members of the second and final evaluation committee (to be determined) and their students are excluded from the PROPOR 2016 PhD and MSc Dissertation Award.
February 2, 2016 – Extended submission deadline March 28, 2016 – Notification to authors
- April 7, 2016 – Deadline for camera-ready
- July 14,2016 – PROPOR2016 Best Dissertation on Language Technology for Portuguese Award Ceremony
- Alexandre Rademaker (IBM, Brazil)
- Amália Mendes (Univ Lisboa, Portugal)
- Carlos Prolo (UFRN, Brazil)
- Carlos Ramisch (Univ Aix-Marseille, France)
- David Martins de Matos (Univ Lisboa, Portugal)
- Fábio Kepler (UNIPAMPA, Brazil)
- Fernando Perdigão (Univ Coimbra, Portugal)
- Helena Caseli (UFSCAR, Brazil)
- José Gabriel Pereira Lopes (Univ Nova de Lisboa, Portugal)
- Laura Alonso Alemany (Univ Cordoba, Argentina)
- Leandro Mendonça de Oliveira (EMBRAPA, Brazil)
- Leandro Wives (UFRGS, Brazil)
- Magali Duran (USP-SC, Brazil)
- Maria José Finatto (UFRGS, Brazil)
- Nuno Cavalheiro Marques (Univ Nova de Lisboa, Portugal)
- Nuno Mamede (Univ Lisboa, Portugal)
- Paulo Quaresma (Univ. Évora, Portugal)
- Renata Vieira (PUC-RS, Brazil)
- Sergio Freitas (UnB, Brazil)
- Thierry Poibeau (ENS, France)
- Vera Strube de Lima (PUC-RS, Brazil)
- Viviane Moreira (UFRGS, Brazil)
The PROPOR 2016 PhD and MSc Dissertation Award final evaluation committee will be
posted on the PROPOR 2016 website.
Chair of the Best PhD and MSc Dissertation Award:
Aline Villavicencio, INF-UFRGS, Brazil
For any inquiries regarding the workshop please send an email to